Over the past couple of days, we’ve been talking about what exactly we need to do yet before we can stick a greenhouse down on the property. Here’s what we’ve come up with so far.
- Raise another $1700 for the greenhouse itself (which is, in technicality, a hoophouse since it uses no heat source other than the sun).
- Get approved for the conditional use permit by the City of Northfield (unfortunately, this is completely out of our hands).
- Purchase the hoophouse and arrange for installation
- Prepare the soil where the greenhouse will go, since we’ll be planting some things in the ground. This process will include working compost from the school’s own bins into the dirt.
- Do some trial planting over the summer so we can see how different growing under plastic is (more water? less water? more weeds? less bugs? You get the idea!).
- Have a ribbon-cutting ceremony to celebrate our efforts.
This was a clarifying talk to have for us, so I hope it’ll help you out too!