“So, this project is cool and everything…but how much did it cost you?”
People ask us this question all the time. “All the time” meaning “every time we take anyone through the greenhouse or even mention it”. Heck, one of the most frequently used search terms for this blog is “greenhouse cost estimate”.
“How much does it cost” is a legitimate question, and one that needs answering. But if you’re reading this in hopes of putting up your own, remember…the factors for each project will be totally unique.
So here’s our little breakdown.
- Structure: retail $3250; after education discount $2900. From Poly-Tex, Inc.
- Conditional Use Permit and Variance: $1550, excluding refunded escrow. From City of Northfield
- Building Permit: $160, from City of Northfield
- Farmer-in-Residence: $4000; oversaw student labor in building the greenhouse, plus will help with planting, etc.
- Various Components (door latches, extension cords, etc): $50, approximately.
So the total cost for putting up our greenhouse was $8660, but keep in mind that this was paid for with $6000 worth of grants. We ended up having to only raise $2400 for the rest of the greenhouse, which isn’t bad at all.
So, how much do you think your greenhouse will cost?